Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Midnight in Paris

Girls night tonight...Movie was Midnight in Paris. 

It was the first movie that I have ever seen where they used time travel differently.  Time travel only at midnight in a certain spot of the city.  Time travel where you can go night after night to the same era.  A different view that was wildly entertaining that put to mind good points of wishing you could be in a different time and place, as the main character travels to his vision of the perfect time in history night after night.

Everyone has it the time and place where they wish they could be instead of the here and right now.  Everyone has an imagination of what it would be like.  Who they would meet, the places they would see.  Not many, probably think of the actual time and place.  What it was really like.  They have a love affair with the era and think of only the good things that might not have actually happened like they happen in the movies.  I am one of those.  I tend to think of the 1700's to the 1800's as the time and place that I would love to be.  I have my love affair with Jane Austen's world as she writes it.  With the world of class, respect, the propriety, the dresses, the castles.  In my world though I wouldn't be the servant, I would be the woman of money.  Yes, I'm sure this isn't and probably wouldn't be the case but no one thinks of themselves as being the worker in their world.  I never think of the fact that I probably wouldn't actually like it because there was no actual bathrooms, that I would be in a dress all day long, never being able to run and laugh and play because of inpropriety but it's my love affair.  I see only what I want to see and think about, but thats the case with I'm sure so many people.

Running away from the present to the past where they think that life was better.  Little does anyone know that most likely it was even harder to get by.  Harder to get around.  Harder work then the here and now.  I might want to go back to those days of the 1700 and 1800's but I would only like to visit.  Not to stay.  I like the era that I'm in, the people that I know, and I like seeing the changes that comes with life.  I don't want to relive the past, I want to write the future.

No comments: