Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Hypothyroidism

So I have hypothyroidism it isn't fun but you know I have to deal with it all, the weight gain, hair loss, fatigue pretty much everything else that can go along with it. I was reading up on it finally again after they had to do a biopsy on a couple cysts. I got the call on the phone tonight saying that I have an infection. Come to find out that I have had the infection for a year and a half or two years because that is what hypothyroidism is. What I was reading about it was that it is characterized by inflammation and damage to the thyroid tissue. Damage occurs because immune cells which usually fight off infection and colds attack the body's own thyroid tissue instead. The medication that I am on right know fights back. It is my white blood cells that are doing the damage.

I have to say that I am one of those people that doesn't ask questions because I don't want to know that and I don't want to look stupid. Obviously I'm not going to look stupid because I'm not a doctor but you know thats me. Now the reason that I don't want to ask the questions is because then I will read the worst of everything, the c word and all the diseases that it might end up being and I can't fill my head up with that because then I would have a breakdown which I'm having now. I don't ask questions because I can't. I don't want to know all the details of everything if I don't have to. Which you know doctors can be wrong and if I think that they are missing something or not helping me by giving my a drug to correct an issue then I would rather do the research on everything myself then to have to ask a question. Sick and backwards I know but thats me.

2 comments:

Mama Griffith, said...

second opinions are a good thing and Its YOUR body. Be aggressive. I am patiently awaiting your next blog.......

Emily said...

I always hate asking questions of doctors, no matter how well researched or not I am, I always feel stupid too. But I'll pray for courage so that you may know what is going on and will not fear whatever it is. God Bless.