Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Grandpa Kerr


My Grandpa Kerr passed away yesterday afternoon.  He was an amazing man.  When I was a child he would always try to steal my donuts that he got for us which he actually could never have because he was diabetic.  It was always make me laugh whenever he would try to do it.  I would just laugh and say no, you can't have it. 

He was a World War 2 veteran.  He actually was on a ship during the war that got blown up and sunk but him and some others survived and floated in the ocean for awhile (I believe 3 or 4 days however could have been shorter of a time I can't remember for sure) to be rescued, surviving by smoking cigarettes.  He never talked about it much at all which is understandable.  However I heard the most of the stories when his sister came to town and he shared a lot with her.  He was an amazing golfer winning trophies for it.  He was a baker and made amazing apple pies and he worked in the Portland Steel Mill losing most of his hearing. 

He was the best most wonderful Grandpa and I will miss him so much.  I will always remember the great times we had and all the wonderful memories of him.

No comments: