Sunday, August 12, 2012

Fushimi Shrine







Sorry it's been so long since I last wrote.  This is the Fushimi Shrine.  It has 1001 tori gates.  There were so many different sizes of tori gates.  One picture up and it gives you the prices of the size of tori gates.  From small to extra large.  You would purchase one and then you would write on one side what your prayers or dreams were.  We found one that actually had both English and Japanese on it.  As you walk through the gates you literally climb a mountain.  The hike was wonderful but we got about a quarter of the way up the trail split and we went one way but I think that it didn't really go anywhere so we turned around and went the other way. We didn't make it all the way up and around the mountain because I was afraid that we would miss our train back to the station. It was still a wonderful walk.  The one thing that we saw at the split was a sign that said -

WARNING - WILD MONKEYS. 
 If you see one don't make eye contact
Do not feed them.
And if one approaches you pick up a big rock and pretend to throw it at them.

It slightly made it a little scary to walk through the forest and wonder if I was going to be attacked by a monkey though.  I'm glad I wasn't.

I would love to go back there and make the hike all the way up the mountain.

No comments: