Friday, June 24, 2011

The Days After



Pretty Girl has undergone her Heart worm treatment.  I dropped her off on Wednesday morning and then I was able to pick her up this morning.  Heartworm infection for those who don't know is when a tiny immature heartworms are transmitted throught the bit of a mosquito.  At first, the parasites move into the dogs tissues and then evetually to the heart.  They interfere with the normal flow of blood from the right side of the heart to the vessels serving the lungs.  It is a very serious infection that can lead to heart and other organs failing and then eventually death.

For those who know our lives we got Pretty Girl a few years ago from Bill's sister.  She became the "bad influence" almost immediately.  Her breed doesn't not necessarily like to come back to you when they call and she is definitely that way.  However she became the bad influence because when she ran my dog Lucky ran with her and both of them wouldn't come back when called.  She became Bill's dog where as Lucky is mine.  I fully admit that at first I didn't like her.  She has slowly grown on me throughout the 4 years that we have had her.  It definitely got better when we put her outside on a chain where she can't run away.  :) 

However driving her down to the Vet's office for treatment, dropping her off, and then coming home without her was quite hard.  I wasn't sure that if she were to pass away if I would cry because she annoyed me so badly.  I'm sure that just sounded awful but dropping her off and not knowing if she was going to survive the treatment or not really put everything into perspective.  It made me realize that I love her very much and that I would miss her very much if something ever happened.

Right now she is home and resting quite a bit.  Her energy level is very, very, very low of course because of the treatment and so difficult to watch her.  I hate not be able to talk to her and find out exactly how she feels.  We will continue to think of her and we will continue to be with her and make it as comfortable as possible for her to get healthy again.

1 comment:

The Cloth Addict said...

I'm glad Pretty Girl did well with her treatment, prayers that she recovers quickly.